Dementia Early Signs

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Julie Line 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

John Belchamber
    Keymaster

Today I was thinking about the early signs of Mum’s Dementia whilst she was living with us in Brisbane.

One very hot day, I came home to find Mum had been frantically ironing, but the ironing board was set up in an unusual place and too close to the wall. The wall was dotted with hundreds of tiny holes where the point of the iron had hit it. As I recall, Mum seemed not to have noticed the damage and when I pointed it out, she didn’t link it to anything she had done.
    Looking back, this was clearly one of many littles warning signs that all was not well. If only we’d seen the writing on the wall, how might Mum’s Dementia Journey have differed? I guess I’ll never know.

I wrote a poem about this experience here >>>

My questions are:

• What early signs of dementia did you experience in your loved one and/or yourself ?
    • Did you recognise them as symptoms at the time?
    • How did you feel and react to these symptoms?

Please share your experiences and join in the conversation fellow journeyers.

Julie Line

I can take John’s story a little further. On 07/07/07 Mum became a Great Gran for the first time when my daughter Sarah gave birth to Jacob. A couple of days later we went to visit her and do some of the jobs a new Mum needs help with.
    As usual Mum wanted to do the ironing. It was always her favourite and she stood there for 2 hours whistling as she worked. Sarah & I cooed over Jacob and the room was full of the love a new baby brings.
    When it was time to go we realised that in all that time Mum had only ironed 2 muslin squares and a baby grow. At the time I think we may have been a little irritated and thought that was hardly worth getting the ironing board out for, Looking back now I can see that Mum’s Dementia was preventing her from working out how to manage the task but she was so happy to be doing it. Her role as Gran was being fulfilled by continuing to do the thing she would have always done, helping her Grandaughter with her new baby.
    Now I can see that this could be shown as a perfect example of Person Centred Care. Letting Mum do what she could to help and maintaining her sense of worth.
    Being Gran to Jacob & then his younger brother Isaac continued to give her the greatest pleasure. She always loved the cuddles and kisses they brought her even when her ironing days were done.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.